Joint Health Sciences and Nutrition Workshop
On January 11, LAU School of Arts & Sciences [SoAS], Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine [SOM], Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing [ARCSON], and School of Pharmacy [SOP] organized a joint Health Sciences and Nutrition workshop to share classroom and clinical experiences and encourage possible teaching and research collaboration. Champions with representations from each school presented 10 topics of interest at designated stations. Participants rotated between these stations, provided their own insights, asked questions, addressed common educational outcomes, discussed potential collaboration and overall, established an inclusive interprofessional environment.
The below topics were presented during the first session:
- Beyond Pedagogy-Serving Our Learners: Mentorship, Sponsorship, and Inspiration (Dr. Nancy Chedid [SOM])
- Health Economics: Ethics and in the Curriculum (Dr. Soumana Nasser [SOP], Dr. Rana Rizk [SoAS] and guest speaker Dr. Caroline Daccache)
- Health Literacy (Dr. Hanine Mansour and Dr. Katia El Harake [SOP])
- Innovation through Simulation (Dr. Nadia Asmar and Mrs. Teresa Grobler [SOM])
- Interprofessional Education (Dr. Wael Salameh [SOM])
And, during the second session:
- Highlights on Simulation: Nursing Experience During Difficult Times (Ms. Zeina El Jordi [ARCSON])
- Innovative Teaching Methods: Lessons Learned (Dr. Nadine Zeeni [SoAS])
- Layered Learning: Students vs. Residents (Dr. Nibal Chamoun [SOP])
- Patient Safety (Dr. Hanan Barakat [SOM] and Dr. Elsy Ramia [SOP])
- Use of Technology to Enhance Curriculum Integration and Students Interaction (Dr. Naser Alsharif [SOP])
The first Joint Health Sciences and Nutrition workshop was an excellent learning experience for presenters and participants. The goal, as many expressed, is to make this workshop an annual event before each Spring semester.