Roy Kanbar, D.Pharm., M.S., Ph.D.
Department Chair, and Acting Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
LAU Extension: 2447
Office Location: CHSC 6103A
Dr. Kanbar joined the Lebanese American University School of Pharmacy in October 2010. He came from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville where he was a Research Associate at the Department of Pharmacology. His Ph.D. studies were in the field of Physiology and Cardiovascular Pharmacology. His post-doctoral studies examined the role of brainstem neurons in the control of blood pressure using new methodologies such as optogenetics.
Education and Training
- D.Pharm., Saint Joseph University Faculty of Pharmacy, Beirut
- M.S. in Physiology and Neuroscience, University of Lyon 1, Lyon, France
- Ph.D. in Physiology and Cardiovascular Pharmacology, University of Lyon 1, Lyon, France
- Post-doctoral studies, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
Honors and Awards
- Full scholarship (Ph.D.), French Ministry of Higher Education
- Fellowship (post-doctoral), French Society of Hypertension
- Investigating the central regulatory mechanisms of blood pressure and breathing in order to better understand the underlying pathophysiology of hypertension and sleep apnea
- Guyenet PG, Bayliss DA, Stornetta RL, Ludwig MG, Kumar NN, Shi Y, Burke PG, Kanbar R, Basting TM, Holloway BB, Wenker IC. Proton detection and breathing regulation by the retrotrapezoid nucleus. J Physiol. 2016 Jan 8. doi: 10.1113/JP271480. [Epub ahead of print]
- Burke PG, Kanbar R, Viar KE, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. Selective optogenetic stimulation of the retrotrapezoid nucleus in sleeping rats activates breathing without changing blood pressure or causing arousal or sighs. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015;118:1491-1501.
- Burke PG, Kanbar R, Basting TM, Hodges WM, Viar KE, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. State-dependent control of breathing by the retrotrapezoid nucleus. J Physiol 2015;593:2909-2926.
- Basting TM, Burke PG, Kanbar R, Viar KE, Stornetta DS, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. Hypoxia silences retrotrapezoid nucleus respiratory chemoreceptors via alkalosis. J Neurosci. 2015;35:527-543.
- Milane A, Abdallah J, Kanbar R, Khazen G, Ghassibe-Sabbagh M, Salloum AK, Youhanna S, Saad A, El Bayeh H, Chammas E, Platt DE, Hager J, Gauguier D, Zalloua P, Abchee A; FGENTCARD Consortium. Association of hypertension with coronary artery disease in the Lebanese population. Springerplus. 2014 Sep 16;3:533. doi: 10.1186/2193-1801-3-533. eCollection 2014.
- Guyenet PG, Stornetta RL, Abbott SB, Depuy SD, Kanbar R. The retrotrapezoid nucleus and breathing. Adv Exp Med Biol 2012;758:115-122.
- Abbott SB, Kanbar R, Bochorishvili G, Coates MB, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. C1 neurons excite locus coeruleus and A5 noradrenergic neurons along with the sympathetic outflow in rats. J Physiol 2012;590:2897-2915.
- Depuy SD, Kanbar R, Coates MB, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. Control of breathing by raphe obscurus serotonergic neurons in mice. J Neurosci 2011;31:1981-1990.
- Kanbar R, Depuy SD, West GH, Stornetta RL, Guyenet PG. Regulation of visceral sympathetic tone by A5 noradrenergic neurons in rodents. J Physiol 2011;589(Pt 4):903-917.
- Kanbar R, Stornetta RL, Cash DR, Lewis SJ, Guyenet PG. Photostimulation of Phox2b medullary neurons activates cardiorespiratory function in conscious rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010;182:1184-1194.